2019 String, Wind, Brass and Percussion Concerto Competition
- January 27, 2019
- 12 Noon – 6:00pm
- Wentz Concert Hall
- North Central Collage
- 171 E. Chicago Ave
- Naperville, IL 60540
- Note: enter through the north entrance.
On-line applications are accepted here: Application Form
- January 22, 2019
- All applications and prior approval must be received no later than January 22, 2019 or until the competition schedule is full, whichever comes first.
- The competition is open only to YSDP Concert and Symphony members.
- There is a $25 non-refundable competition fee. You will not be given an audition time until your fee has been paid and your form has been filled out and turned in.
- Please receive prior approval of your music selection from Dr. Liu before you begin rehearsing, memorizing and being assigned a time for the competition.
- All selections must be memorized.
- You must play one complete movement of a piece and the piece should be no longer than 10 minutes in length.
- You must provide an original and photocopy of your music for the judges. Have measures clearly marked on both copies.
- You must provide your own piano accompanist at the audition.
- Dress is formal or concert attire.
To Symphony Members:
- Orchestral accompaniments must be easily accessible and affordable for rental purposes should you be chosen to perform with the Symphony Orchestra during the April concert.
- Please research and inform YSDP of the cost and availability of your music selection before receiving approval.
- Discuss with your private teacher on where / how to get access to the orchestral accompaniment parts.
- You must play complete movements of pieces. Appropriate cuts may be used if the piece is too long. Only one movement can be used for the audition.
- Judges will determine 1st, 2nd and 3rd placements in each division. Honorable mentions may also be given.
- Judges may opt not to give 1st places if they feel certain criteria and standards have not been met.
- Final decisions concerning solo performances are at the sole discretion of the Music Director.
Selected Concert and Symphony Winners may perform at the February or April concerts.
- The Symphony concerto winner(s) will perform their piece with the Symphony Orchestra.
- The Concert concerto winner(s) will perform their piece with their piano accompanist.
DEADLINE: Application forms and prior approval are DUE no later than January 22, 2019 or until the competition schedule is full, whichever comes first.
NOTE TO PAST WINNERS: If you were last year’s first place winner as either a Concert or Symphony member, you are not eligible to compete in this year’s competition.