AUDITIONS for the 2017 – 2018 concert season are CLOSED!
SPRING AUDITION dates for the 2018 – 2019 concert season are pending.
All new candidates must participate in the audition process for the upcoming 2018 – 2019 season.
YSDP auditions and seating for the Concert and Symphony Orchestras are competitive. Seating is at the conductor’s discretion.
Candidates must be starting 5th grade or older by the fall of 2018.
Candidates should have a minimum of 3 years playing experience on their instruments. Anything less requires a music teacher’s recommendation.
For the Audition:
To be considered for Concert Orchestra, one should:
- Prepare a solo piece 2 to 3 minutes in length that reflects your current level of technical achievement and potential. The audition solo does not have to be memorized; no accompanist is needed. Please bring a copy of your audition piece to the audition.
- Prepare 2 Major and 2 Minor scales of your choice (two octaves required; three octaves optional)
- Sight-reading may be requested.
To be considered for Symphony Orchestra, one should:
- Prepare two contrasting style solo pieces, each 2 to 3 minutes in length, that demonstrate your most current technical abilities and potential. The audition solos do not need to be memorized; no accompanist is needed. Please bring a copy of your audition piece to the audition.
- Prepare 2 Major and 2 Minor scales of your choice in three octaves (two octaves for winds and double bass)
- String players must prepare required orchestral excerpts. Music can be found at the links below.
- Sight reading may be requested.
Orchestral Excerpts for Symphony Orchestra string candidates:
Students may choose to audition for one of the orchestras by following the above criteria, completing the online applications and submitting the audition fee to YSDP.
Please note, auditioning for Symphony Orchestra does not guarantee your placement in Symphony, you may be considered for Concert orchestra. If you do not want to be considered for the Concert orchestra, please note on your application. Those auditioning for Concert will not be considered for the Symphony orchestra.
1) Please dress appropriately for your audition
2) Complete the On-line Application Form.
3) Print TWO copies. Please mail one copy and the non-refundable $25 audition fee in check form, payable to Youth Symphony of DuPage
(put your student’s name in the memo portion of the check) to the following address. Keep the extra copy for your records.
Youth Symphony of DuPage
P.O. Box 55
Naperville, Illinois 60566
4) Attention all female members who are auditioning:
YSDP requires all female musicians to purchase a velveteen long sleeve black dress to wear at all concerts.
Please click here for more information. Cost: approximately $85.
5) For questions or to get your audition date / time expedited, please use the Contact Us Form.
Please put “Audition” in the subject box.
YSDP will notify you of your audition date, time and location by phone or email.